PALA special interest group on the stylistics of landscape, space and place.
PALA members who are interested in participating in a PALA Special Interest Group on the stylistics of landscape, place and environment can get in touch with Ernestine Lahey (University College Roosevelt, email@example.com), Daniela Francesca Virdis (University of Cagliari, firstname.lastname@example.org) and Elisabetta Zurru (University of Genoa, email@example.com), the coordinators of the SIG.
The primary aim of the SIG is to survey current stylistic approaches to concepts of landscape, place and environment (and related concepts such as space, setting, cityscape, etc.). Secondary aims include developing stylistic practice in “place-based” stylistics (e.g. ecostylistics/ecopoetics, the stylistics of tourism, etc.) and facilitating an exchange of ideas between scholars with similar interests, with a view to future collaborative research efforts and publications.
The SIG should incorporate a wide range of concerns, including stylistic analyses which focus on the following features, forms and genres:
- Travel writing/tourism discourse (including tourist narratives and tourism advertising/promotion);
- Figurative/metaphorical aspects of landscape and setting;
- World-building strategies in landscape description;
- Landscape, place and belonging (e.g. as in post-colonial literatures);
- The landscapes of science fiction;
- The landscapes of drama and performance;
- The stylistics of specific places;
- The style of specific writers in their representations of place and environment;
- The stylistics of setting in specific genres;
- The style of landscape description in specific works.
This list is suggestive rather than exhaustive and other concerns and approaches which fit into the board aim of the SIG would be most welcome.